Over 100 million English language learners have used Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dict to develop their English skills for work and study. Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
– find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings – including 900 new words and meanings.
– trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice:
– Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
– Access the high-quality audio online, or download headword audio and all 116,000 spoken sentences to listen offline
– Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English:
– Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
– Learn the Oxford 3000 – the most important words to know in English
– Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
– Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
– Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want:
– Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
– Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up
– Use Google Voice Search © to look up words by speaking instead of typing
– Copy text from emails or web pages and find the words easily in OALD with the Look up from clipboard option
– Search within dictionary entries using the Find on page feature
Organise and personalize your favourite entries:
– create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
– export your Favourite lists and History list